From:
Frank en Janneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:05:53 +0200
Derek:

>I do know that *Schabel* liked to play on a Bechstein.

I feel that Schnabel understood better than most pianists what sound
is needed in order to perform the Beethoven sonatas.  In Schnabel's time
there were no useful pianofortes yet (or should I say:  anymore), so he
WAS handicapped with the available instruments.  But he understood, I
think, that a certain shortness of sound, not too much legato, suits the
music best.  The places where Schnabel does not manage to get it done are
typical:  where Beethoven asks for legato in the basses.  Even Schnabel is
not able to avoid a muddy sound here.  Of course he is not helped by the
recording technique of the 30's.  His second recording of the late sonatas,
done in the early 40's, is a bit better in this respect.  I think that he
would have prefered to play on a pianoforte if he had lived in our time.

Frank