From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:53:36 +0000
On Wednesday Jan 13 I'm going to the Barbican to hear the London Symphony
Orchestra, Mstitslav Rostropovich and London Voices give the UK premiere
of Sofia Gubaidulina's piece "The Canticle of the Sun" (and also to meet
fellow listmember Jim Tobin, who's in the UK for a few days).  All I know
of the Gubaidulina is that it features two solo percussionists and celesta,
and the following snippet found on the web:

Canticle of the Sun (Sonnengesang) (1997)
Duration: ca. 30'
for SATB chorus (6.6.6.6), cello, and 2 percussion
Text (It) by St. Francis of Assisi

Does anyone know this piece? Can anyone give me any hints and tips in
advance? I don't know much Gubaidulina, but most of what I've heard I find
challenging and intriguing.

Ian Crisp