From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:30:54 -0800
Roger Hecht wrote:

>I have a Pye LP of these two with Barbirolli's first Enigma with Halle
>and his first Cello Concerto with Navarra.  ...

I would have mentioned this but I wasn't sure about current availability.
It was on an EMI Phoenixa CD, well-filled with the Elegy For Strings and
the Introduction and Allegro.  I like the Enigma here very much, more
than Roger.  However, as I say, it maybe deleted now.

>A more reasonable possiblity is on Conifer.  Edward Downes conducts Enigma,
>and Alexander Baillie is the cellist for the concerto.  ...

I'm glad this is still available.  I didn't think it was and certainly
is an alternative to the Menhuin coupling.  It first came out on a short-
lived classical CD label marketed by Boots, the huge UK chain of dispensing
chemists and other sundry items, for sale only in their shops.  Well worth
seeking out.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.