From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:54:54 +0000
I just bought this along with Froissart and Falstaff.  Amazing!  Surely
a piece of orchestration that even Mahler would have been proud of!  Don't
you just love the way your focus is in a constant state of flux between the
different sections of the orchestra.  Is it Webern who was the master of
that - switching from timbre to timbre in one melodic line?

Recording was Jeffrey Tate on EMI.

Someone was asking why it is performed so rarely.  Maybe it is extremely
difficult.  There is just so much going on at once.

I had a listen to Falstaff but I wasn't really paying enough attention for
it to make much of an impression.  I will have another go soon.

Froissart is brilliant too.

I will get the Violin Conceto next.  Recommendations?

David Stewart