From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:37:03 -0800
Lewis Liu wrote:

>Otto Klemperer - EMI (live recording)             # 4
>Marvinsky - RCA Melodiya (live recording)         # 9
>Tintner - Naxos                                   # 6
>Tintner - Naxos                                   # 8

It's worth pointing out that the Tintner recording of the 8th is of
the hardly ever played first version of the work, that of 1887, and
as such is different in many parts to the version that is usually
recorded.  Naxos were very naughty, in my opinion, in not making
this clear on the cover.  This release should be in every Bruckner
collection, of course.  It's a fine reading of the score, but every
collection should have, first of all, Bruckner's revised version,
(either the Haas or Nowak editions) of 1890 which represent Bruckner's
final wishes.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.