From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:24:42 -0400
Mike,
Is the SHB a problem or simply found in most Vermont hives Mike?

 In California SHB can be found in those hives brought in in 1998 but not
in near the numbers. 10-20 SHB were on each frame in "98" but now maybe
only 10-20 found in the whole hive.

Those with the SHB in California consider SHB about like wax moths.

Deadouts can be a problem if left in the field.

California is trying to shut the gate after the horse has left the field
cconcerning SHB!

Many areas of California do not have any bee inspectors. Tens of thousands
of hives enter and leave California without paperwork or ever being
inspected each year. If California really wanted to inspect all the million
hives they would need a 100 times as many inspectors to even make a feeble
attempt.

Researchers are riding the SHB bandwagon for all its worth. The beekeepers
blaming SHB the most for their woes (used to be the weather)have got other
issues with thier bees also . Contaminated wax and varroa out of control.
If they had strong hives SHB would not be an issue in my opinion. One of
the largest beekeepers the world has ever seen told me the best way to
fight SHB is to keep strong healthy hives with varroa under control!

Not some damn roach chemical in your bee hive to  prevent SHB infestation
in a weak and dying colony!

The " California Almond gold rush" has caused many commercial beekeepers to
double & triple their hive numbers and like stacking domino's the whole
thing is falling down for many. One beekeeper actually forgot he had a yard
of around 600 hives (which he had not looked at all year). He ordered a
crew to bring in hives to the yard and the foreman called to say the yard
was full of hives. The owner of the hives looked over at me ( I was in his
office)and said he might have too many hives.

In California we had a holding yard we put hives in which were left by out
of state beekeepers whcih forgot those hives. I hauled 72 hives to the yard
which belonged to Perkins Honey Farm myself as Doug was already in Talow
locations in Texas and had not missed the hives!

Bob