ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julia Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:32:10 -0800
7bit

Thank you for so many responses to help me with my grad school project!

I inadvertently left out two rather important questions, having to do
with the amount of time spent with learners, and the number of
learners reached annually.  I have made an "addendum" survey
consisting of only these two questions, just so I can keep the total
number of respondents clear.

If you have already filled out a survey, I'd appreciate it if you
would go to the below link and make your mark.

https://catalysttools.washington.edu/survey/julia123/32281  <--- for
those who have already participated in the survey

If you have not yet filled out the Museum Educator survey and would
like to, please go to the below link with the survey in its entirety
(including the two previously omitted questions):

https://catalysttools.washington.edu/survey/julia123/31149  <--- for
those who have not yet participated in the survey

Below please find the official email that accompanies the original
survey.

Thank you once again!!!

Dear Education Colleagues:

After seven years in the Outreach Department at the Lawrence Hall of
Science in Berkeley, CA, I am
currently attending the University of Washington in Seattle, pursuing
a degree in Cognitive Studies
(College of Education).

My master's project involves writing the handbook that I wished
someone had handed to me when I began
my work at LHS.  As educators in informal settings, many of the rules
that are appropriate to a fulltime class
simply do not apply.  Our audiences are vast, varied, and numerous.
We often have mere minutes with a
given learner, rather than nine entire months.

Recognizing the rift between research and practice, I am soliciting
input from fellow informal educators to find
out what research and theory is already in practice in our
institutions.  What are we already doing that can be
backed up by academic research?  And what ideas can we bring into our
practice, suggested by research but that
have so far not made it into our daily routines?

I'd appreciate very much if those of you who identify as educators in
interactive settings would take a few minutes
and fill out the web form linked to this email.

Due to survey requirements of the University of Washington, it is
imperative that your responses be completely
anonymous.  Please do not reference your name, or the name of your
institution,   References to the type of area
served by your institution (urban / rural, etc.) are fine, and even
helpful.

Your participation is completely voluntary and anonymous.  You may
discontinue a survey at any time, up until the
point at which you click "submit".  With your input, we can all
become more informed about the intersection between
research and practice in our daily lives as museum educators.

Here is the survey, located within the University of Washington web
system:

https://catalysttools.washington.edu/survey/julia123/31149

Many thanks,
Julia Berger
Long Time Outreach Educator
University of Washington Graduate Student
College of Education, Cognitive Studies