ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:06:33 -0500

Jeff--

I"ve gotten round plywood cylinders from Roberts Plywood (out on Long
Island, NY):

http://www.getwood.com/products.htm

Joe-  thanks for the Aitwood link, as I'd not heard of them before.
 They're in California, so shipping to upstate NY would be pricey, but
definitely worth knowing about.  And they also had fibreboard cylinders
without spiral seams.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY
607-272-0600 ext 25
---------
Jeff,

Not too pricey? Are you kidding?

You can find plywood cylinders here  http://www.aitwood.com

But at 2' diameter...  about $400 a piece + shipping. Ouch!

Why not use the sonotube. It certainly fits into 'cheap.' You can easily
fill the spiral grove with body putty or wrap it in a fabric or vinyl,
before applying final graphics.

Joe Ruggiero
www.TheExhibitGuys.com
------------
jeff courtman wrote:

i need help:  we're producing some faux egyptian columns.  We need
something 2' diameter, 12' tall (can piece together), available and
not too pricy. not asking for much :) .

sonotube is out because of the seams - we're covering with vinyl
graphic material and don't want to have to smooth the seams.

years ago i had a source for large dia. tubes, 8' long, made out of
plywood veneers.

any help would be appreciated!

Jeff Courtman Exhibits & Special Projects Coordinator 251.208.6851
Exploreum Science Center www.exploreum.net
<http://www.exploreum.net/>