ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:25:28 -0400
From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:

Well, Eric, not to say my individual experience constitutes evidence
that the masses want to time shift their radio experience, but I,
personally, hardly listen to live radio at all anymore (except for the
local college station--which I often listen to as a live-stream on the
computer!).
I get more interesting content in podcast form than I have time for.
It's free and takes practically no energy on my part.  Since I control
the delivery--the valve so-to-speak--I don't have to get up and turn on
the radio at 7am on Saturday morning to hear "On the Media."  (Oh!
Gratitude!)  I listened to some of this week's program on Sunday and
the rest of it last night.  And when I missed a segment because I was
down in the basement, I was able to rewind (to coin an anachronistic
phrase)!  Woo Hoo!

The new media community are calling this kind of media "pull" media.
The consumers go out individually, find the media they want to consume,
and consume it at their own individual pace.
TV is the best example "push" style media.  Consumer doesn't get a
choice.  The media is pushed at us.

I think your disfavor with the MoMA tour may have to do with the
quality of the content, and with every computer-user and their mother
having the ability to podcast, the ratio of fantastic content to
mediocre is disparaging.  Hopefully, better tools for sifting through
content will be developed.

Anyhow, I'm not the sort of fellow who gets worked up about new
technology and having more media faster, harder, louder, bigger,
all-consuming ARGHHHH!!!  But my habits have changed almost
effortlessly in the transition from "pushed" to "pulled" media with
regards to this thing we used to call "radio."
Also, I almost never take the audio tour at a museum.  I dig the
unmediated experience.
But, like I said, an Intelligent Design audio tour of a natural history
museum would be an education I don't think I could any other way (in
other words, I couldn't bear a living, breathing, human Intelligent
Design tour guide, but I am interested in what they have to say).

Jason

>>> __
>>> jasonJayStevens
>>> exhibits . annArborHands-OnMuseum . [log in to unmask]
>>> art . potterBelmarLabs . [log in to unmask]