Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:52:27 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Sony has released the 2nd disc of Murray Perahia's interpretations of
Bach's English Suites.  This 2nd disc has nos.  2,4, and 5.  The recorded
sound is superb, as it was for the first disc.

Not unexpected, Perahia is always "right on the money." Tempos,
inflections, rubato, and intonation are perfect.  Good taste just leaps
out of the speakers.

Yet, although satisfied, I was never moved by Perahia's versions.  I felt
that I'd heard it all before.  As an example, hearing the beginning of the
2nd English Suite, my mind wandered to the Woody Allen movie, Crimes and
Misdemeanors.  Sometimes, I thought of Schiff's recordings on London.  I
simply did not find anything truely distinctive or unique.

To be sure, this is fine Bach by a master pianist.  I'll keep listening
with the hope that distinctive treasures are there to be found.  If that
does not happen, I still have an expert set which is one notch above the
set by Schiff.

Don Satz