Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:31:05 EDT
From:
John Detwiler <[log in to unmask]>
While reading through a book on counterpoint (aptly titled "Counterpoint"),
I came upon an example that seemed very familiar.  It was the beginning
of the Bourree from Bach's Suite in Em.  It reminded me quite a bit of a
Jethro Tull piece that had been a favorite of mine, even before I began to
like CM.  I plunked it out on the piano, and it was one and the same, with
a few rhythmic differences.  I came to the Tull first, so it was a pleasant
surprise seeing it again now (I think, while quite unfaithful, it's a fun
piece.) However, Bach (or even the public domain) is uncredited.

A couple questions.  Isn't that illegal, or if it's not illegal, isn't it
highly frowned upon? Also, did anyone of the members of the list have the
reverse experience (Bach, then Tull), or have the same experience with
different pieces? I know about a few of the Rachmaninoff or Chopin with
Barry Manilow, but not too many others.

~John~