Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:53:02 -0500
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Robert M. Stumpf II wrote:

>I am working on transcribing the memories of the principal oboist of the
>Houston Symphony.  In one paragraph he makes reference to 'the Beethoven
>Symphony that has trombones in the last movement.' I am not sure which he
>is referring to since 5, 6 and 9 all have trombones at some point.  Can
>someone help me here?

Five has them only in the finale.

Nine has trombones in the second movement and finale.

I played the Sixth long ago, before switching to bass trombone.  I seem to
remember playing the storm and the final section.  Only two trombones, by
the way.  The others have three.

My guess is your friend was referring to Five, which has the trombones only
in the finale.  Hey, he's an oboist.  How often does he turn around? Surely
not to refine his notions of where the trombones are.

Roger Hecht