Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:47:44 -0500
From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Joe Previte writes about Daedelus' Vanguard sale:

>It is on sale from Daedelus with a bunch of other top - notch discs, all
>for $5.98 apiece.  Including a recording of Bartok and Szigeti together
>(fantastic).

I got this Bartok-Szigeti CD and I heartily second Joe's recommendation.
An interesting Kreutzer Sonata, and some nice Debussey.  BArtok has pretty
darn good piano "chops." But, for me, the highlights are Bartok's own
Rhapsody and his difficult but rewarding Second Sonata for Violin and
Piano.

In the notes, Szigeti is quoted saying:" Bartok and I made a point of
playing the sonata, admittedly one of his most adventurous and problematic
works, at all of the many concerts we gave together.  Now he is no longer
among us, it is an eternal regret to me that I failed to record it with
him." By giving us this recording from a recital on April 13, 1940 at the
Library of Congress, Vanguard has done more than preserve a piece of
history.  They've given us some very exciting music.  And for only $5.98
no less!

Ed