Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:38:14 -0500
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Zack Winestine wrote:

>Does anyone have any advice? Should I try the earlier, classic Budapest
>performances? ...

Budapest was getting past it by their stereo performances.  The only stereo
one I know of of theirs that I've ever liked was the Ravel-Debussy pairing.
Another set somewhat held back by a group past its prime is the Hungarians
on Seraphim.  I've always liked thegh Quartet and that has seemed a
pretty safe recommendation over the years.  Not always the ultimate last
work technically, they're vital fascinating readings.  They're my first
choice.  Since like me, you listen to LPs, pick up the Yale performances on
Vanguard if you see them.  They're always really cheap in used LP stores.
Talich was okay in the middle quartets:  don't know their lates ones.  I've
always like the idiosyncratic Cleveland Quartet on RCA, though some might
not.  Amadeus' with their dominant first violin has never appealed to me.
The Lindsay's are good, again, if you can find them on cheap MHS LPs, but
they wouldn't be my first choice.  You asked about the Italians.  They get
high marks in some quarters, but I've always found them variable.  They're
polished and gleaming in a way, but to me, kind of superficial.  I've heard
good things about the older mono Budapest recordings.

As you can see, I'm mostly in the LP era. I haven't bought any Beethoven
quartets on CD and don't know the new performances.

Roger Hecht