From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:23:45 -0500
I think the discussion between Jim and Bill is fascinating.  I also thought
that it was technically illegal to label honey as organic and think I now
understand that it is only illegal for the label to say "USDA Organic".
Wow, that distinction is going to be lost on all but a small segment of the
buying public.

We had a guy near here in upstate NY who was labeling his honey "Organic",
and it was selling in at least one market at a substantial premium.  And I
do mean 'selling'...in pounds it was outselling any other honey the market
was selling.

My understanding is that one of the competitors complained to the NYS Ag.
and Markets department and this complaint quickly led to a label reprint,
without the word 'organic'.  Since, the honey prices fell to 'normal' levels
and so did his share of the market's sales!

I have no idea what NYS Ag. and Markets said to the guy to get him to change
his label.

I second what Bob Harrison said in that with packers firmly in control the
NHB will do nothing to reduce the ability of importers to sell honey at
premium prices.  The ABF seems helpless...and perhaps that is because 'we'
will not give them the financial support they need.  I seriously doubt that
anything will occur at a Federal level that will put any teeth into the
ability to differentiate honey whether by variety, processing methods, or
production conditions.  I think it much more likely that regulations and
enforcement can come about at a state level, but that will take leadership.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.