From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:49:58 -0800
Glen Glater <[log in to unmask]> wrote:We are buying NUCs, and have the option of buying either:

Minnesota Hygienic; New World Carniolan; or Russian

Are there recommendations?  Is there a summary of the advantages/disadvantages of these sub-species?  For example, I've heard that the Russians overwinter well but are a bit more agressive.

Your advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Glen,
    I have no experience with the New World Carniolan but do have with one line of Russians.  The line, I'm told is blue, yellow, white.  It hasn't done too well with Varroa mite control, but I have not found them to be  any more aggressive than the SMR's and the Italian/Buckfast's that I have in the same yard.  I have worked them right up to the start of a hard thunderstorm and had no trouble with any of them with over aggresiveness.  In fact, I was amazed that they continued to ignore me and continued on with their business.  The Russians are reputed to be very miserly in their consumption of stores over the winter.  Winter over in a small cluster, and with the onset of a flow of nectar, build up quite rapidly.  In your cold winter climate, this might be of an advantage.  The only problem would be if your main honey flow follows too closely behind the initial spring nectar flow.  If so, you might be building up your colony strength with main flow honey.

Mike in LA
     For what it is worth.

Mike in LA