From:
PO Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:43:30 +0700
I always mix frames and bees from two different hives when making
splits. This way they will be totally confused and will accept any
cell or queen I give them. No need to wait at all, just leave the cell
or queen cage there at the same time you make up the split. If waiting
there is a risk they will decide to make their own from open brood. I
have actually tried and just let a newly mated queen walk in through
the entrance on a split just made up from different hives. She made
it. Just make sure there isn't a lot of old field bees there...

I'm regularly making splits after the honey flow when it's most
difficult to introduce queens. With this method I get more than 95%
acceptance introducing mated queens.

If using cells I would not wait at all with introduction. I have not
experienced bees tearing down a cell when queen less, and doubt a nuc
will ever do it.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden