ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nik Charov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:05:45 -0500

What's a Wednesday afternoon without a little optimism, a little harmony?
See below for a press release from earlier today.  (Sorry if it's already
hit the ASTC list; I only receive the digest.)

Maybe on the biggest problems, science and religion CAN speak, not from two
sides, but in one voice?

...And the world will be a better place?
...Oh, the world WILL be a better place!
For you (for you)
And me (and me)
Just wait (just wait)
And seeeeeeeeeeee!

Cheers,

Nik Charov
Grants Manager
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th St.
Queens, NY 11368
P: (718) 699-0005 ext. 380
F: (718) 699-1341
E: [log in to unmask]

"Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!" - Dr. Peter Venkman

Evangelical, Scientific Leaders Launch Effort to Protect Life on Earth;
Unprecedented Collaboration Aims to Instill Sense of Urgency in All
Americans

    WASHINGTON, Jan. 17 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a first-of-its-kind
collaboration, evangelical and scientific leaders announced today a joint
effort to protect the environment. Speaking at a news conference in
Washington, DC, a dozen leaders of the coalition shared concerns about
human- caused threats to Creation -- including climate change, habitat
destruction, pollution, species extinction, the spread of human infectious
diseases, and other dangers to the well-being of societies.
    The coalition released an "Urgent Call to Action" statement signed by
28 evangelical and scientific leaders. The statement -- sent to President
George W. Bush, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, bipartisan congressional
leaders, and national evangelical and scientific organizations -- urges
"fundamental change in values, lifestyles, and public policies required to
address these worsening problems before it is too late. Business as usual
cannot continue yet one more day." The group pledged to "work together
toward a responsible care for Creation and call with one voice" to the
religious, scientific, business, political and educational arenas to join
them in this historic initiative.
    "There is no such thing as a Republican or Democrat, a liberal or
conservative, a religious or secular environment. We all breathe the same
air and drink the same water. Scientists and evangelicals share a deep
moral commitment to preserve this precious gift we have all been given,"
said Dr. Eric Chivian, Nobel laureate and Director of the Center for Health
and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School.
    "Great scientists are people of imagination. So are people of great
faith. We dare to imagine a world in which science and religion cooperate,
minimizing our differences about how Creation got started, to work together
to reverse its degradation. We will not allow it to be progressively
destroyed by human folly," added Rev. Richard Cizik, Vice President for
Governmental Affairs of the National Association of Evangelicals.
    Stressing that their effort is just beginning, coalition members spoke
about some of the immediate next steps they will be taking, including
holding meetings with Congressional leaders from both parties to inform
them of this unprecedented effort and encourage their attention to
environmental issues. They also plan to hold a Summit on the Creation and
will develop outreach tools, such as a Creation Care Bible study guide and
environmental curricula.
    "If current deterioration of the environment by human activity
continues unabated, best estimates are that half of Earth's surviving
species of plants and animals will be extinguished or critically endangered
by the end of the century. The price for future generations will be paid in
economic opportunity, environmental security, and spiritual fulfillment.
The saving of the living environment is therefore an issue appropriately
addressed jointly by science and religion," said Pulitzer Prize-winning
author Dr. Edward O. Wilson.
    One of the imperatives of the group will be to advance the dialogue and
influence policy in regards to global warming. "In order to avoid clear and
substantial dangers...it will be necessary to substantially reduce CO2
emissions during the next few decades, and perhaps by 80 percent or more
before the end of the century," said Dr. James Hansen, the leading U.S.
climate change scientist.
    The coalition vowed to expand their collaboration and encourage action
from all sectors of society. "We are glad to be partnering with our friends
in the scientific community. They have the facts we need to present to our
congregations; we have the numbers of activists that will work through
churches, government, and the business community to make a significant
impact," said Dr. Joel Hunter, Senior Pastor of Northland Church in
Orlando, Florida.
    The unique collaboration, 28-members strong and growing, was
spearheaded by leaders from the Center for Health and the Global
Environment at Harvard Medical School and the National Association of
Evangelicals. During a retreat held last November 30 to December 2nd in
Thomasville, Georgia, the group agreed that science proves that the natural
world is imperiled by human behaviors and policies, particularly by the
unsustainable burning of fossil fuels and degradation of living systems.
They decided to embark on a continuing collaboration and authored the
"Urgent Call to Action" statement.
    *Institutional affiliation is given for identification purposes only.
All signatories do so as individuals expressing their personal opinions and
not as representatives of their organizations. *

SOURCE National Association of Evangelicals