ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn Levi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:04:30 -0400

Hi Walter, I am very interested. As Director of COSEE-New England
(until last May) I was involved in many of the framing discussions of
the ocean science literacy concepts.  I was PI on an application in
the '06 round NOAA ocean science literacy proposals -- we got good
reviews, but didn't make the cut.  My colleagues and I are discussing
trying again.  Joining with ASTC and IGLO is an exciting concept. I
would love the opportunity to discuss this with you.

I'll be at ASTC from Thursday evening through mid-day Monday.

Carolyn

On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:50 PM, Walter Staveloz wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> Please find hereafter-important information on a new NOAA funding
> opportunity. If you are interested in submitting, please note that
> ASTC, and
> especially the IGLO project considers this as well. Therefore, you
> might get
> in touch and discuss cooperation in this matter.
>
> Best,
>

> Walter Staveloz
>

> NOAA Announces New Funding For Environmental Literacy Projects
>
> Title: Environmental Literacy Grants for Free-choice Learning
>
> NOAA's Office of Education (OED) is requesting applications for
> environmental literacy projects in support of free-choice learning.
> Funded
> projects will have a duration of one and five years and will create
> new, or
> capitalize on existing, networks of institutions, agencies and /or
> organizations to provide common messages about key concepts in
> Earth System
> Science, for example the Ocean Literacy Essential Principles and
> Fundamental
> Concepts
> (http://www.coexploration.org/oceanliteracy/documents/
> OceanLitConcepts_10.11
> .05.pdf).
> The proposed mechanisms for delivery of these messages may include
> public
> literacy campaigns, kiosks or traveling exhibits, and/or the
> revision of
> existing programs that would be made available at multiple venues. The
> proposed projects should support NOAA's vision which is: an
> informed society
> that uses a comprehensive understanding of the role of the ocean,
> coasts,
> and atmosphere in the global ecosystem to make the best social and
> economic
> decisions.   Successful projects should reach significant segments
> of the
> U.S. population at a state, multi-state or national level.  The
> environmental literacy messages should clearly convey how the Earth
> system
> influences a project's target audience, how the target audience is
> influencing the Earth system and how an environmentally literate
> public can
> make informed decisions.  The goal of these projects should be to
> provide
> adequate information to move the audience's knowledge beyond basic
> awareness
> while reaching audiences sufficient in size with a message that
> promotes
> such a change.  Note: applications for exhibits involving
> construction of
> part or all of a building are not eligible for funding under this
> announcement. Formal education projects and projects that focus on
> [...]

Carolyn Ann Levi, Ph.D.
Interpretive Planning & Content Development
60 Turning Mill Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420
857-488-5985