ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:50:45 -0500

Lath,

While we could sit around and work in our bathrobes (and do for those of us
with home-based offices--we even make jokes about it), clothing also has
that "tribal" function--part of group identity. So, while part of dress
decisions are functional, they take on a life of their own whereby
individual identify with a group and with group leadership. Technology
(literally tools) that is functional AND takes on a function of marking
group identity and status.

With other female evaluators, I have been amused to note that we inspect
each others shoes. Comfortable black shoes to stand for long periods and
travel well seem to be part of the uniform. Function and symbols are closely
connected and they change. That's why it is so fascinating to watch. Note
that the archeaology story posted was "in the field." I think that may be
the fertile source for new and lively science visual symbols. Many
scientific disciplines have a "field" component that may be a good source of
their unique symbols. I know a little about that in astronomy and
archaeology because I have worked on those types of projects. I find the
that a lot of the fun and commaraderie of the scientific enterprise comes
out in these expressions of identity. Teens and children pick up on it
immediately, and I suspect it may be part of what we assess as "interest in
scientific content."

Cheers,

Carey