ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jeff courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:31:52 -0600

Despite the drawbacks - maintenance, etc, I am a strong advocate for their
inclusion.

Once upon a time, Jack McKinney had the brilliant idea to do a LARGE scale
indoor sand play area (50' x 40') as part of our summer offering in Dallas.
It was such a hit, that we continued it on a smaller scale for the next 5
years.

There are so many activities that can be done, so many props that can be
offered; these more than offset the pain-in-the-booty aspect. Bury
seashells; pouring and measuring; footprints; bones; etc.

FYI:  some staff had concern about cooties; we had an industrial hygenist
come in and look at what we had going.  He had no problem with all the
drool, etc, because most of the bad stuff has to be passed directly - a lot
of bugs can't survive off the host (you and me).

A couple of common sense things:  make the entrance a sort of switchback
with at least one turn - it gives you a chance for visitors to leave more
sand as they leave the area.  Also, have some benches in the area so kids
can be sat down and cleaned up.  We asked visitors to take shoes and socks
off.  A few stiff brushes to help the adults is helpful.

Our biggest problem was pushbuttons getting grit in them (miles away from
the sand pit), but a small price to pay.

Jeff Courtman
Exhibits & Special Projects Coordinator
251.208.6851
Exploreum Science Center