ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:17:10 -0500

There is a window of opportunity to address this with districts right
now.  If you want to have an impact, though, go with data.  Look at the
districts in Imperial County, CA (Valle Imperial Project), Charleston,
SC, Green Bay, WI (Edison Project), Fresno, CA, and Dade County, FL.
All of these districts are showing a positive impact on student
achievement and the achievement gap from a systematic approach to
teacher professional development and student opportunity to learn.  The
Imperial Valley case is a particularly interesting one because they
demonstrate conclusively that a strong program of elementary science
produces powerful literacy gains (2 standard deviations on the state
test) in high-poverty, high-minority, high-ESL districts.  See
http://csmp.ucop.edu/csp/imperial-valley/resources.php and scroll down
to Articles at the bottom.

Although political climates will undoubtedly swing again, accountability
has broad support and some form of accountability is here to stay.
Science centers that want to retain active school programs ought to be
at the forefront of adapting to this reality.  Active partnerships with
school districts require us to accept our share of their accountability.
For example, as part of a teacher professional development program, I am
now accountable for student achievement in the classrooms of those
teachers.  If they don't show gains, I don't get more money, regardless
of how many extenuating circumstances there might be.  It's easy to see
the negatives in this arrangement, but there are some real positives as
well.  I am far more interested in what is going on in those teachers'
classrooms than I might otherwise be, the school district science
coordinator and I have become allies, and the professional development
for the teachers has been significantly deepened by questions of how,
exactly, are we going to know what students have learned.

Dave Smith, Director of Professional Development, Da Vinci Discovery
Center