From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:36:31 -0400
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> replied to me:

>Yes, I can not only imagine that, but I've actually read it from people
>who nevertheless like other modern music.  Like any composer, Copland
>has both fans and detractors.  I happen to be a fan (surprise, surprise).

I'm not surprised, since I'm well aware of your extensive favorable
writings about American composers, and I have a general idea about where
your tastes lie.

>You give a distinct reason, which I can respect without agreeing with,
>especially as it pertains to the scores in question.  However, if you
>re-read the quote, you'll notice Saminsky gives no such reason, although
>he does make an interesting point about Copland's relation to Stravinsky
>(whom he also, incidentally, doesn't like).

I was wondering about that - whether he was condemning Copland for falling
short of a superior original (and one of my favorite works at that), or
dismissing him for adopting an equally "despicable" milieu.  Thanks for
clearing that up.

 - seb