From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:33:40 -0800
Original poster wrote:
>ARS researchers have developed and patented (USPN
5,795,857 and USPN
>5,792,446) artificial copies of insects’ brain
chemicals that could prove
>useful for controlling insect behavior....

Dee asked for some thoughts on the parameters of it's
usage to be concerned about the above, dangers etc?
I do have some thoughts here.

First, to the original poster:
I don’t see that they are referring to anything
related to honeybees here.  This is research that was
being developed back in 1998, the focus as far as I am
aware is for use on crop pests such as corn earworm
etc.  I don't know that there is any current research
being done for use on honeybee pest (if so, somebody
please provide the info).

Reply to Dee and All:
Speaking from my background as a Certified Applicator
of Pesticide, these are a class of pesticides called
biopesticides.  All biopesticides have a nontoxic mode
of action which means it's not the pesticide itself
that is toxic to the pest, but affects on the target
insects digestive, nervous system or interfering with
reproduction or other life supporting functions that
is fatal.  Biopesticides are divided in to 3 major
groups, 1. Biochemical (example would be pheromone
based pesticides which might interfere with locating
mates, or chemicals that interfere with insect
neuropeptides that control vital functions). 2.
Microbial (example would be BT or other genetically
modified, or naturally occurring organisms. And 3.
Plant Incorporated Protectors (genetically altered
plants, for example plants altered with Bt genes etc.
I believe the plants themselves are classified as
pesticides here also).

Let’s hypothesize that synthetic neuropeptides have
potential for use in treating honeybee pests:
Biopesticides have the same structure, and are
functionally identical to, a naturally occurring
counterpart, and the fear here is that this would be
used as a wedge to push for the so called "organic"
approval, adding yet another artificial crutch
interfering with the development of natural resistance
in the honeybees.  Weather applied as a bait, dust or
spray, it would come in contact with honeybees and be
consumed and moved throughout the colony by nature of
normal colony functions, and we do not yet know how
these things might contaminate,  progress up the food
chain, affect non target species or interact with
other components.  But IMO, this is not where the real
damage will occur, it will encourage dependence on yet
another crutch, placing another man made pesticide
obstacle to interfere with the honeybees natural
ability to develop resistance.  Also, honeybees are
highly sensitive to chemical ques within the colony
for communication and other vital functions.  As these
types of pesticides that mimic chemicals in insects
brains become more common in the honeybees
environment, there is no way to predict and we do not
yet know the effects that random concoctions of
multitudes of different neuropeptides will have on the
honeybees body functions or ability to communicate at
the colony level.

I do have a question:

Looking at the success from the hard work over the
past decade or so that organic methodry and breeders
along with the ARS has made in producing an excellent
varroa tolerant bee, ie. Russians, SMR, Hygienic,
Small Cell etc.  Why do we continue to encourage a
chemical solution when non chemical methods are
working?  As an Certified Applicator of Pesticides, I
know that chemicals should NEVER be used when there
are non chemical alternatives available. IMO, the
breeders and all beekeepers might want to focus
efforts in encouraging the ARS to continue research
efforts in breeding varroa tolerant bees, instead of
stepping backwards into the chemical dependence that
has failed so many times in the past.  IMO, a highly
effective chemical treatment would be another stop gap
solution at best and be detrimental to the amazing
advances made so far by the breeders and those in
breeding research.  If we were to learn from mistakes
made on the past, efforts focused away from treatments
and toward breeding a fundamentally fit bee would be
better for the breeders and the entire beekeeping
industry in the long run.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
My Site:           http://www.biologicalbeekeeping.com