From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:46:36 -0700
Here I go and probably innitiate a considerable uproar
on the discussion list.

Control of the small hive beetle.  Had one of my
students from last years class grin and tell me that
she and her husband found complete control of hive
beetles in their hives.  From another regional
beekeeper they found a way to kill the beetles in
their hives.  It is NOT a method that I have heard of
before and I'm pretty sure is not one advocated by the
FDA or the beekeeping community at large.  It involved
the introduction of roach gel in a restrive container
such that the bees could not gain access to it but the
hive beetles could.  The lady said that the hive that
had numerous hive beetles showed no sign of having the
beetles about a week after introducing this method of
control into the hive.  Supposedly the method of
introduction precludes the contamination of the hive
and the combs although I'm sure there have been no
clinical trials to determine that fact.  For what it
is worth.

Mike in southern Alabama

http://farechase.yahoo.com