HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 03:57:30 -0500

In a message dated 1/2/2007 12:18:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/opinion/02childs.html

As an added note, I saw "Apocalypto" and learned that the time period
depicted was after the Zapotec substantially changed the older Mayan culture,  just
as the Spanish arrived to the Yucatan. Not being an expert in this period  or
culture, others have told me the gory scenes closely depict descriptions
written by Spanish chroniclers of the time. This is the first movie on this
culture in that time period that I have seen since some really bad attempts back
in the 1950s. I was also heartened not to have to see the Spanish impact on
those people.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.