HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:20:39 -0400
Here are some news links about the current state of things here:

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2006/06/07/news/doc44864d99ede07305807864.txt

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=489244

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=488898

State Museum staff are looking into the situation as we speak.

Marty Pickands, New York State Museum

>>> Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]> 06/07/06 12:37 AM >>>
> And Tim...I think you may have seen the origianl post on another
> site...since I never saw the original article link or discussion.
??
> (but, I don't seem to get many HISTARCH posts any more)...just some
of
> the replies.  ??

For what it's worth, I think the problem here is that Tim changed the
title to the thread.

What was originally titled 'French and Indian War Graves found on
Rogers
Island in the Hudson River', first posted by Jared Barrett, became 'NY
looting' when Tim replied to it.

Tim's first post quoted directly from the article first linked to by
Jared
when Tim wrote: 'There are no plans to give professional
archaeologists
access to the site, although Richard Fuller said he has talked with an
anthropologist about having the skeletons analyzed and studied.'  So
Tim
wasn't imagining things.

Directly before that quote was: '"You don't just rush out there and
start
digging because you think it's interesting," said David Starbuck [who
seems to be the article's token professional], who spent more than a
decade conducting extensive excavations on Rogers Island and at nearby
sites but didn't uncover any cemeteries. "It's important to proceed
very
cautiously."
While he and his wife aren't professional archaeologists, Richard
Fuller
said they're "well-versed in archaeology techniques" from their
previous
work with an Albany-area archaeological firm.'

I know we have Albany-based people on this list (Marty, I'm
metaphorically
looking at you) - perhaps they might have some insight on this
'previous
work with an Albany-area archaeological firm'.

Alasdair Brooks