HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
timothy mancl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:45:36 -0400
Chris,

I wrote a thesis on the types, and chemical analysis of bloomery slag
from a site in Negaunee, Michigan. It includes images of the different
forms of slag found, and of one type of hammer scale (spheroidal) and
the problem associated with recovery. In a discussion I had after
writing the thesis, a current smelter of bloomery iron mentioned that
much of the slag produced from refining would visually resemble that
resulting from bloomery smelting.

The chapter on slag might be small enough to email (about 1 MB). Please
contact me off-list if you're interested. In addition, you might find
the datasheets (available online) from the Historical Metallurgy
Society helpful.

Tim Mancl, RPA
Heite Consulting