HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Aina Dodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:23:25 -0600
Alley!! (sp?) He's the best.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
David Legare
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 12:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Urban archaeology methods question

In New Mexico we have the relatively good fortune to
have an archaeological backhoe operator who works with
flat blades that he has altered to 1/2, 1, and 2 meter dimensions.  I
worked with him on a project near Albuquerque where a village had been
flooded about 100 years ago.  The work was quick, highly efficient, and
I felt that we got excellent data from our features.
The idea of identifying features and then excavating
1/2 as data recovery is not a perfect world.  But I
have never (even in research archaeology) seen the
perfect world.  It seems a good plan.  Know your
equipment operator and work closely together to
identify and get the maximum data from all of the
features.  It turns into a sampling strategy that
gives good to excellent results.  We were able to
identify types of features, functions, and got good in
situ carbon and artifact data for dating.

Good luck.

=== message truncated ===