HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:18:05 -0500
I worked with the Swing Shift crew for Dewberry, Inc., that first
exposed it, there was oyster shell in the mortar binding uncut stones
encountered on top of bedrock (97% of that species of oyster was once
located in the lower Hudson River and New York's harbor).

It is a very different construction "cut and cover" tunnel, large
I-beams every 10 or so feet, on "soldier piles" placed first,
perpendicular to the archaeology testing trenches at greater depth
below the large timber-sections removable on-top of the I-beams to
support wheeled excavators. A "Sphere" sculpture now with eternal
flame, once located at a plaza in the World Trade Center, damaged by
the events of 9/11/01 is also atop the subway tunnels "r.o.w." (right
of way) to be left and underpinned for the many tourists that board
the boats nearby for Liberty and Ellis Islands. My Scottish
grandmother, (nee Gregory) as a young girl, was once the caretaker's
nanny on "Bedloe's Island", where the Statue of Liberty is.

I was fired for a personal blog entry, which does not make sense, here
it would have, nor was I told the specific entry for which I was
"dooced".

George Myers