HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:51:27 -0500
Still looking. Perhaps part of a "missionary" token from the triad
"the salesman, the missionaries, and the shooters." ("Winchester, The
Gun That Won The West" by Harold F. Williamson, Combat Forces Press,
Washington, D.C., c) 1952 by Association of the U.S. Army, Library of
Congress Catalog No. 52-11409

"All of the principal gun and ammunition concerns took steps to see
that their products were well represented in shooting matches and
tournaments. These events were closely followed by sportsmen and gun
users generally, and it was considered a distinct advantage for a
company to be able to advertise that its guns or ammunition had been
used by the winners of an important shooting contest.

"Not infrequently the missionaries were themselves expert shots and
took part in tournaments. Companies might also have some one on the
payroll who did nothing but represent it as a shooter. One of the best
known of the early shooters was James E. Stetson, who represented
Winchester. Stetson began working for Winchester in the 1870s as a
barrel-maker. His skill as a marksman was such that the Company soon
had him traveling full time representing it throughout the country. On
these trips he competed against such marksmen as Doc Carver and
Buffalo Bill and on one occasion won a diamond belt symbolic of the
championship of the country."*

"Until about 1900, however, the shooters were generally amateurs who
regularly took part in various contests..." p. 183 "Domestic Sales
Promotion"

* Cf. New Haven "Journal-Courier", April 28, 1930. Stetson left
Winchester and entered Yale Medical School at the age of thirty-seven,
graduating with the class of 1881. He began practicing in New Haven
and became a distinguished physician. He died in 1930 at the age of
eighty-four. (Ibid, p. 405)
"Around 1900 Winchester began employing "missionary salesman." These
men would accept