HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:15:03 +1000
I don't remember playing marbles or jacks in the UK as a child, but I do
remember playing both when I was living in (Francophone) Belgium in the mid-late
70s.

And the basic - but not absolute - pattern observed by other people held true
there, too:

Marbles: (mainly) boys

Jacks: (mainly) girls

Can't remember how I did on those rare occasions when I played jacks, but I was
quite crap at marbles.  Our school didn't approve of our playing either, so we
eventually had to sneak round a corner to play - no doubt anyone going to the
former school site at the top of the village green in Ohain (near Waterloo)
could find quite a marble midden if they were so inclined.

Now, a 25-30 year old Walloon example has arguably even less relevance to
historical archaeology in North America than any of the other examples listed so
far, but hey, so long as we're all sharing nostalgic stories about our
childhood...

Alasdair Brooks