HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mary C. Beaudry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:47:03 -0500
I am astounded by this thread.  Contextual analysis might encourage
reflexivity, but I do not think that our own childhoods should form
the basis for artifact interpretation, unless, of course, we are just
analyzing ourselves (which is fine, so long as it is not disguised as
the study of 19th-century or other childhoods).  The  variability of
experiences among list members underscores my point that we must
attend to context and avoid the tendency to universalize human
experience.

There is a growing body of literature on the archaeology of children
and childhood as well as a substantial body of literature on artifact
interpretation that explicitly rejects one-to-one formulations of
artifacts according to function, gender associations, age, etc., and
of the approaches that posit rigid connections between objects and
their meanings and uses (e.g., boys with marbles-marbles often used
by adults for gambling, for instance-archaeological, cultural, and
historical context of finds fosters nuanced interpretations).

A good example of a contextual, interpretive analysis of marbles is
Yamin's article in the International Journal of Historical
Archaeology (forget exact citation).  There's Jane Baxter's book on
the archaeology of childhood, Laurie Wilkie's & the Praetzellises'
work, etc., etc.  Anthropological archaeologists had, I thought,
developed techniques for avoiding presentism and are attempting to
avoid essentializing schema in their work.

I can provide a bibliography (on interpretation, not just
identification) if list members are interested.

MCB