HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"G. Alcock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:05:06 -0800
In the late 1960s and early 1970s in Berkeley (northern California), girls played with jacks, boys
played with Matchbox cars, and I had a collection of marbles (gifts from family members, I think)
that I hadn't the faintest idea what to do with. (That's aside from the gender-specific dolls and
their accoutrements.)

When we moved in the early 70s to Orange County, in southern California, jacks were out but
hopscotch (in various configurations) was in, and I haven't a clue what the boys played. Still not
marbles.  We also played four-square and a form of handball with the larger inflatable, red rubber
balls. Our side yard probably has a scattering of the needle-like tips for the air pumps used to
inflate the balls to get a good bounce on them. But those games were not gender-specific.

Gwyn Alcock
Redlands, CA