HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:22:14 -0400
Hi,

Margie Purser and I are putting together a poster session for the SHA
meetings in Sacramento: "The Principle Then and Now: An Update on 'Photography for
Discovery and Scale.'"

Margie's abstract reads as follows:

"In 1988 Gene Prince of the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology published a
short note in Antiquity entitled 'Photography for discovery and scale by
superimposing old photographs on the present-day scene.' The technique he'd
developed was simple, relatively low-tech and low cost, and leant itself to a myriad
of applications. Dubbed 'Prince's Principle' by Ivor Noel Hume, the technique
has had a fascinating if not highly publicized career. In the intervening
years, it has been used for purposes of site location, architectural
reconstruction, and public interpretation. Experiments have extended the application from
historical photographs to paintings and lithographs, and have reproduced the
technique digitally for website applications. This poster session showcases a
sampling of the Principle's case studies, both to increase awareness of this
amazingly useful technique, and to provide a forum for sharing innovations for
using it in a range of different physical and technological contexts."

We would like to hear from people who have used the photographic method for
discovery and interpretation, successfully or not, since I gave a paper on it
at the SHA meetings in 1986, or from its original publication as noted above.

Probably better to reply to me off list.

Best,

Eugene (Gene) Prince