HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Barrett, Jared" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:11:40 -0400
A colleague of mine in our office came across this on a Phase II in Northern Georgia. Not sure what it is, thought everyone here could give a hand. Any thoughts? His description is listed below. For pictures of this object, send a message offline and we'll send you a few (three total). Thanks,
Jared Barrett

"The site consists of a historic scatter (clear bottle glass, aqua glass, cut nails, wire nails, concrete) around a dry stacked limestone foundation on the crest of a small mountain. About 5 m from the foundation is a large excavated pit, approximately 3 m across and 1.5 m deep.

The artifact was buried in leaf litter at the base of this pit. It measures 43 cm wide, 57 cm long, and 32 cm tall. The trough inside measures 21 cm wide, 34 cm long, and 23 cm deep. It appears to be constructed of brick, although does not show individual courses."

Aaron Deter-Wolf, Archaeologist
TRC, Inc.
1865 Air Lane Dr, Suite 9
Nashville TN  37210-3814