HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 07:48:16 -0500
The following are updates to the Archaeology page at About.com for the
period between 4/28 and 5/4/2005. Please accept my apologies for
cross-posting and feel free to repost:

New Article:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/section106/a/longsworth.htm
Although the vote on the proposed changes to Section 106 of the National
Historic Preservation Act has not yet taken place, historic
preservation's guiding light Nellie Longsworth reports that the battle
to educate Congress on the knowledge we gain as a nation through
archaeology about our past has just begun.

New Book Review:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/paleoindian/fr/turk.htm
Jon Turk's In the Wake of the Jomon is an adventure romance of a modern
man attempting to reconstruct a possible sailing voyage around the
northern Pacific rim from Japan to Alaska.

New Glossary Entries:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/glossary/
H3, Al Sabiyah (Kuwait), Kennewick Man (USA), Subsistence, Opal
Phytoliths, Subsurface Testing, Sui Dynasty, Sumer and Sumeria, Sungir
(Russia), Pedestrian Survey, Bilzingsleben (Germany), Bipedal
Locomotion, Bin Bir Kilisse (Turkey), Biskupin (Poland), Black Death,
Black Mesa (USA), Blombos Cave (South Africa), Bodo Cranium (Ethiopia),
Bog Bodies, Boghazkoy (Turkey)

New Biography Listings:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/biographies/
Otto Nikolaevich Bader [b. 1902], Eliezer Sukenik [1889-1953], Robert
Carl Suggs [b. 1932]

New Quizzes:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/puzzlesandquizzes/
Abu Simbel and the Black Death

Updates to the Guide to Graduate Schools
http://archaeology.about.com/od/guidetograduateschools/index.htm
New additions this week include two of the three departments at the Free
University of Brussels; and the unveiling of the new format of the GGSA;
still very much in progress. Pardon my dust.

K. Kris Hirst
The Wasteflake Project
http://www.wasteflake.com and
Guide for Archaeology @ About.com
http://archaeology.about.com
The past is only the present become invisible and mute; and because it
is invisible and mute, its memoried glances and its murmurs are
infinitely precious. We are tomorrow's past. -- Mary Webb

More Quotes: http://archaeology.about.com/od/quotations/