From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:13:50 -0800
Dave Harman writes:

>But, since I can't go back, I find the Model T and the 78 discs to be
>part of a time in my life that is past and I have feel no desire to buy
>a Model T and drive it around town, nor do I want to sit listening to
>old sounds on old records.
>
>I wish Mr Smyth good listening as he travels backward towards a listening
>experience that I would not find enjoyable.

Let me quickly clarify: the mono Bartok Juilliard Quartets were originally
available on '78s.  They were then pressed on 33rpm Lp records for just
a few years, (Columbia's Blue and Six-eye labels).  I believe these '50s
recordings got lost in the shuffle as Columbia quickly replaced them
early on with Juilliard's stereo Lp version in '63 and they were never
released again until a couple of years ago on CD--50 years later in fact.
I urge everyone who likes these quartets to hear the first mono Juilliard;
there is a sense of awe in every pluck, every stroke.  An emphasis on
the Modern?  Yes, but there's no lack of poetry, folksiness, and dance.

Regarding old sounds: the mono sound is so palpable that you can reach
out and touch the players.  I realize old recordings can sometimes be
horrid, but not here thankfully.  Not by a long shot.

John Smyth
Sac, CA