ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 09:32:07 +1000

Questacon is reviewing the nature of its current performance and
presentation spaces ( with a view to expand the capacity AND the range
of types of presentation we can deliver).

We plan to improve the delivery of performances On site, From site, and
To site.

we currently make use of a 200 seat raked, 100 seat flat, 2x50 seat flat
theatres, busking trollies, roaming presenters ( some in and some out of
character).

I would like to gather from the network any details about
	*the type of spaces you currently use for
presentations/demos/lectures/puppet shows/ and theatrical performances (
dedicated spaces, open spaces, within galleries.)
	*what have you found to be the limitations of a dedicated space,
and of mounting a performance in an open gallery space.
	*The support fascilties you have or wish you had ( or thought
you needed but have never used)
	*the number/frequency of presentations ( numbers of presenaters
and auidience sizes)
	* how much time are dedicated spaces in use, how much time are
they used as function spaces ( for external clients as opposed to you
staff presenting to your visitors).
	*costs and upkeep.
	*any unstaffed automatic theatres
	*mixed media people,props,video
	*range of audiences
	*range of subjects
	* are you taking live(or internet) feeds into these spaces and
are you streaming the performances out from them?

Any information from anecdotes to spread sheets very welcome.
I would be happy for people to post direct to me, and I will put a
summary up as soon as the (hoped for) flood of responses calms down.

Stuart Kohlhagen
Questacon The Tational Science and Technology Centre Canberra Australia