ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 13:17:57 -0400

Hi Jonah and all!

I've enjoyed listening to the different ideas floating around!  Really
fascinating conversation-

Joe and Beryl - I agree to the umpteenth!  Growing up I never had the chance
to tinker and deconstruct things, and since I've been in science museums
that's been one of the most joyous parts of my career.

One safety point you may want to do to check for capacitors is just push in
the power button for a few seconds after unplugged ~ it may discharge some
of the juice if the capacitor is directly in-line (like in your computer).
Also, definitely cut the power cords to make sure that they don't
accidentally get plugged in while open and being explored.  Beware taking
apart disposable cameras - they are awesome to tear into, make nice, cheap
strobes for doing work with phosphorescent coatings, but have a nasty
capacitor and can provide quite a stinger.  Not that I've discharged one
into my fingers once or twice...Yeah, I'd never do that....Ahem....

A couple of thoughts on the activities-
1) Think about using toys as a way to explore mechanics as well...You can
cruise Salvation Army/Goodwill/Thrift Stores, or ask kids to bring in old
toys that their parents are ready to pitch.  They're a wealth of interesting
little pieces/parts, generally require low voltages to operate all of their
pieces/parts, and show interesting little mechanisms to make movement, sense
the environment, flash lights, etc.  I'd also recommend collecting broken
hand controllers for X-Box or Playstation ~ they are interesting inside,
especially the off-weight motors they use to make 'em rumble.
2) I'm really inspired by a lot of the work that the folks in the PIE
Network are doing.  It's sooooo cool to see how powerful an experience it is
to use simple materials, motors, circuits, etc. to explore and inquire.
Find a website that shows linkages/mechanisms/connections in action.  It
would make a nice background piece playing on a computer that kids can refer
to while they deconstruct, a sort of check-in that they can use to compare
to what they're seeing while they work.
3) If there are things like a VCR that can be partially disassembled and
still operate, essentially removing the black box around the mechanisms,
show the kids (um, but only demonstrate, don't let them do it, especially if
the widget has to be plugged in)!  I remember watching an artist make an art
piece that used a VCR with the case off, and the motion pieces were tied
into the tape loading/unloading mechanism.  It was sooooo fascinating to
watch it in motion and see all of the pieces come together.
4) Are there any artists in town who work with kinetic sculpting that may be
of interest to bring in and participate?  Some of the most meaningful
experiences I've had is in working with artists who take these pieces apart
and re-combine 'em into new and interesting works.

Good luck, Jonah!

Sam

--
Samuel B. Dean