ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gene Klotz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:43:29 -0400

Dear isen-astc-l,

I work at Swarthmore College and the Math Forum,
http://mathforum.org/, and we're developing something that might be
of interest to science museums. I thought I'd ask for suggestions and
possible partnerships before we move beyond the prototype stage.

Inspired by an empty glass case in the hallway of the new Swarthmore
Math Department building, I thought it would be nice to put a
flat-screen computer in the case that shows, screensaver style, some
of the beautiful computer images that exist on the web and that come
from mathematics. We'll have it set up that a viewer can click on an
image and go to an information page about the image.

This summer I worked with four undergraduates who harvested some 1200
images from the web that they found interesting and related to math.
They also have been setting up a site, programming and web designing
to handle this. It's not quite ready to show off but I'll be able to
send a url to interested parties soon.

We have a lot of work to do. This collection of raw visual treats can
be made even more rich and engaging. To bring out the learning our
approach will be to make the site as interactive as possible, working
with the Math Forum to set it up so that users can ask questions
("Ask Dr. Math Image"), allowing users to submit their own images,
and pointing out sites and software that allow people to do this.
(There are already lots of nice possibilities for young kids with
tessellations, for example.)

Moreover, I'd like to develop the site so that people can use it as a
screensaver, putting all the learning potential at their fingertips!
I haven't even begun to get permissions from the image authors so I
can "go public" yet. Actually, I expect that turning this into an
educationally useful, interactive web site will take a fair amount of
work so I'm going to have spend some time knocking on the doors of
funding agencies, too.

Where the Informal Science Education Network comes in to this is that
the idea of a display in a hallway case seemed to me a bit old time
museum-y, while making things highly interactive matches my idea of
contemporary museum practices. Especially since I ran across Falk and
Dierking's ideas on making museums better learning experiences,
http://www.swmlac.org.uk/mli/learn/fandd2.htm, a checklist we'll
follow as we go forward with this project.

So, if you have ideas for making this a better project, we'd love to
hear them. If you might be able to use such a project in museum work
we'd like to know now so we can design accordingly. If there are ways
we might work together we'd love to talk with you.

Gene Klotz
Swarthmore College Department of Mathematics,
The Math Forum @ Drexel University