ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Todd Thuma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:24:48 -0400

institutions.
*

Mathew,

Thank you for your carefully worded and detailed explanation for why the
National Museum of American History removed the Foucault Pendulum. While I
was impressed that the over-the-phone help desk for the Smithsonian knew
there was a FP at one point and that it had been removed and not moved, they
did not share the detail that you have in your post. I am certain that
removing a long term exhibit around which the museum was constructed was not
an easy decision to make and I appreciate the deliberative process that you
went through. It was helpful to understand this in the light of the change
in mission.

Glenn's response was not intended to start a fight on the removal of the
exhibit, I believe, only to present one side of the perspective of those
considering the loss of an exhibit in the light of a similar loss closer to
home for him.

My goal in posting has been achieved and I appreciate all of the responses.
At NSTA we are developing online professional development for educators that
raise their knowledge and understanding of science. One of our Science
Objects in development would be served by illustrating a Foucault Pendulum
in order to demonstrate a key piece of evidence against a geocentric
perspective of Earth and the Sun. My research on the Internet revealed many
pendulums, less video, but none with the instructional design that we need,
a time lapse video.

I recently returned to this forum after an absence and have always found it
to be valuable and education. Thank you to everyone, lurking and
contributing.

Sincerely,

Todd