HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:15:02 -0400
Eric Sloane, in his book "Our Vanishing Landscape," states that the sun used to designate the mens' privy, while the moon designated the womwns'. If so, this probably harks back to Diana and Apollo in Roman mythology.

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum Cultural Resource Survey

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/29/05 12:26 PM >>>
I know that several of you have dealt with this question before and have the
answer already.   I was asked what was the significance of the crescent moon
design on privies.   I was given a number of options:

1. It was a symbol denoting Islamic origins

2. It originated in the Civil War in Louisiana

3. The structure doubled as an astronomical observatory

4. None of the above

I suspect that the answer is #4.   Can anyone give me an accurate reply?

RLH