From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:06:14 -0700
Isis writes:
So far no one has offered any proof that merely putting
regular bees on smaller combs is a reliable varroa control
measure. Proof would involve two things: 1) side by side
comparison with normal hives and 2) independently verified;
especially under different climatic conditions.

Reply:
Interesting you saying this! Not knowing what you mean by
regular bees, assuming size here I will say:

If 5.4mm is now considered average sizing (though it is
known that some beekeepers use foundation sized up to 5.9mm
now)and we have sized down our bees onto 4.9mm top
tolerance sizing, and as stated before it was the only
thing different we have done in our field management thru
two regressions, (steps down in size, as each step can only
go down .2mm to .3mm each time max normally), and most
around us have crashed using the 5.4mm average due to mites
(first trachael, then compounded by varroa), and we now
going on 10 years later in 2006, then having about 900
colonies and finishing off in the next year or so going
back to 1,000 is not proof enough. The 5.4mm colonies now
crashed/gone being the other group side by side in apiaries
locally.

You said above: Proof would involve two things: 1) side by
side comparison with normal hives and 2) independently
verified; especially under different climatic conditions

Me again: I guess the local side by side comparison with
normal hives of others not making it is not enough. But you
add more in 2) independently verified; with different
climatic conditions. So then here I guess what Hans-Otto
Johnsen is doing with his 600 now hives might/could/may
help here in clarification, besides the overall test being
done in Norway.

 Others are doing it in other countries too I might add
(Germany being one), not to mention several beekeepers here
in the USA like Joe in Penn. Of course we are talking
foundation here and NOT TBHs for usage.

What this said I will stop.

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby