From:
Pencaemawr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:21:33 +0100
Isis Glass wrote:

> Although reproduction of Varroa is
> affected by the space between the developing
> bee and cell wall, reducing cell sizes as
> a mite control method will probably fail to
> be effective since the bees are likely to respond
> by rearing correspondingly smaller
> bees  -- Martin

I wonder if this will be so? If we postulate that bees can be persuaded
to be a little larger or a little smaller by altering cell sizes up or
down, is it not likely that in the larger direction the bee will stop
expanding before it fully fills the enlarged cell, and in the smaller
direction even if the bee down-sizes it will always remain a tight fit
in the cell?

Ihope this makes sense! Do you have more details of steve martin's work
in this area?

Regards, John Burgess