From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:02:34 -0500
>I suggest that one of the biggest influences on propolis collection is
whether the beekeeper has got his beespace right.

I disagree! Certain lines are bad about the use of propolis. Beespace or no
beespace. I seldom purchase less than a 100 queens at a time from a queen
producer so get a good indication of how bad they use propolis.
The top three producers of Italian bees in the U.S. queens use very little
propolis. The Russian lines I have used love propolis as do the caucs!
Carniolans I have used fall in the middle but certainly in my opinion use
more propolis than the Italians.
I don't remember propolis being an issue with the A.mm I used decades ago.
I cuss the Russians for their use of propolis because with migratory tops
the frames pull up when you pry the lid. Upsetting to both the bees and the
beekeeper. Could possibly kill the queen. I understand in fall but NOT in 90
F. weather!

Bob