ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dennis Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:26:39 -0800

Here are comments to go with previous message (part 2 of 3)

Cost concerns:

*	It was so nice to have the 90 'scholarships' last year for our
low-income school.  We took all of our primary classes, as it helped
defray the cost. Many of the children (and parents) would have otherwise
never have gone.

*	We are a very culturally diverse, low income school, so any cost
breaks would be especially appreciated.  Maybe a scholarship program
would be helpful.  We really enjoyed 3D under the sea.  The students
learned a lot about life underwater and were really thrilled with the 3D
photography.

*	I'd love to go but it would coast over $17 for our kids to go
with entrance fee and transportation costs.  It's just too much money.

*	Provide transportation as part of the ticket admission. Everett
School district permits students to pay admission costs, but not
transportation as determined by district policy.  Our individual schools
must fund the transportation, so we are severely limited in our choice
of trips.  It is not the distance that matters, but the rental of the
bus for the day.  At my school, the PTA funds one trip, and the building
budget another.  Teachers have to make difficult choices when we all
know that hands-on experiential learning is where the kids learn best.

*	We love being there and I can't think of much more that you
could do. As a lower income school, cost can sometimes be prohibiting.

*	Cheaper rates on IMAX movies.  I like what you do with live
animal talks and the butterfly exhibit.

*	The main concern for our small school was cost... Especially
that the chaperones had to pay. As a thank you to them, we pay for the
chaperones out of our budget, but this can take quite a chunk out of it
especially with the cost of busses and drivers added to it.

*	Just help subsidize our kids who can't afford the bus ride,
entrance fee AND lunch.

*	We try to come once a year to the Science Center if we can to
help support our Science units.  A lot of teachers have said to me that
the cost tends to be the reason why they do not come as frequently

*	Contact business and/or other donators in Whatcom County when
any of our schools are hosting a 'Van visit'...to make it possible for
more county (rural) schools to participate...

*	You can lower the admission prices or give some sort of
scholarship for under-privileged schools.  You could possibly be
reimbursed some governmental funds if you offered special rates for
schools serving 100% free and reduced lunch.

*	The entrance fee and the cost to get to Seattle from Spokane
make trips difficult for us.  We were able to visit 2 years ago and the
trip was educational.  Transportation is tough right now so we won't be
able to visit again any time soon.

*	Besides the admission cost, you charge for extra for special
exhibits, Planetarium, and IMAX.  One price would be helpful for school
groups. Your general exhibits stay pretty much the same and some were
not working.

*	I think you folks do a wonderful job.  Your exhibits are always
of the highest quality.  The only thing that keeps us from coming to you
is the cost.  We are in Kent.  The cost of our bus to Seattle is a bit
over $300.  Add the cost of the admission and we have to ask our
students for approx. $10.  They can't come up with that.  Our school is
approx. 70% free and reduced lunch.

*	Schools with lower income children should get help in funds to
have them come the Pacific Science Center.

*	Free admission and transportation stipends go a long way for
student learning. My question is this: is your organization providing me
with this survey so that you can increase your profits or because you
want more students to access your learning center. Public school is
free, the science center is not, nor does the public have funds to
provide the needed transportation. Grants man, we need grants. If the
Pacific Science Center can provide a few grants to interested educators
and their students, then more lower income students with highly
motivated teachers can access your curriculum.

*	We try to go every year but it gets more difficult to afford.
Our student population is 99%free and reduced lunch.  We have gotten
some scholarships but still have to pay for half of our school
population.  Usually this money comes directly from our pockets,
(teachers and administrators.  The most important factor for us is
affordability.  We ask students to contribute $1.00-2.00 for every field
trip and for some it is difficult.

*	Because we are a rural school and have to travel nearly two
hours to reach the Science Center, cost is a major factor for us.  It
has often been necessary for my students to do fundraising activities in
order for us to do the field trip, simply because the school usually
does not have funds to support them.  On the other hand, maybe it is a
good thing for kids to have to earn their privileges . . .  I think
Science is important BECAUSE it is a way of understanding the world
around us, NOT because of political things like academic 'standards' and
standardized tests.

*	We travel from Spokane. So financing is a big obstacle to
overcome.

*	For our school it is all about the money, we are a very small
school so we do not have any extra funds.  The community we serve is low
income so we cannot ask the families to help with the cost.  If we had
free admission tickets and help with the cost of the buses we would go
in a heartbeat!

*	Our school does not have a fund for field trips so they are
usually rewards paid for by the students.  Scholarships are a good idea.
Maybe a reward for WASL performance certificates?  Maybe a school could
be awarded a certain number or just the individual kids?

*	Costs: bus or parent driver parking and admission fees prevent
my students and me from visiting often.

*	I feel as an educator in a very poverty stricken school it
should be taken into consideration to give these schools a larger
discount.

*	Since we are over an hour away, my biggest concern is
transportation.  We usually charter a bus and our generous Parent Group
plus some fund raising by our students makes it possible to attend the
Center.  So it is all about transportation for me.  I don't know of any
other way to get us there, other than free!

*	Help our school fundraise so that we can be allowed more field
trips during the year.... particularly cost of buses is a deterrent.

*	I think the Science Center is fabulous; it is only the cost that
makes it is hard to visit.

*	We live in Graham and it really is quite a fortune for the buses
to take us there. It would be nice to get a scholarship or reduced pay
for students to help with the cost. For example, we need two buses to
take us there and the cost is about $800 dollars just for the buses. We
have to charge our parent helpers and our class to help compensate this.
We have gone to the Science Center though for the past 4 years and do (I
hope) plan on it again this year. We love going there and the kids
really have a great educational day! Thank you for this!!

*	As an educator it is the time out of class and just the
availability of convenient transportation, parking, and the cost of both
of these once you get to the science center. Of course the cost of
admission could also be a factor. There is only so many dollars
available for a family to use for there child in what is suppose to be a
free public education which is not really the case. I like to find
exhibits that are related to what I am teaching in my class for science.
We attended the Imax film about a year ago on Walking on the Moon. When
I was at the NEA representative assembly in Los Angles it was
recommended and as an educator I was treated to a preview of the show
for no cost.

*	We really like visiting the facility. Due to the cost
(transportation and admission) it is hard to schedule a trip. The
scholarship that we got last year really helped. It is a shame that we
could only take 90 students.

*	We are a poor school but not quite poor enough to get extra
help. When a school needs 50% free and reduced lunch count to get
scholarships we are at 47%. For us it comes down to money, money for the
buses and money for the entrance.

*	School group discounts and special promotions.

*	It costs lots of money for us to bring a group to the science
center from Forks, plus it takes a very long day!

*	I'd like it to be easier to access membership cards to spread
the expenses better when scholarships don't cover it all.  I've been
lucky enough to have a few parents that can afford the memberships, but
the majority of my students are on free lunch status.

*	Not really.  I run a traveling club for the junior high and 50
students can go if they sign up and pay for the trip.  Unfortunately
more students do not want to travel on a Saturday, more students in our
school are financially strapped, and we cannot take trips during the
school day.  When we do visit PSC, we love it!!!

 Reduce costs for teachers/chaperones:

*	If I were allowed free access to the PSC I would be able to
create more thematic units based on the PSC exhibits.

*	I was more likely to come when we had the free teacher passes
for Seattle School District.  Then I was able to visit the exhibits
ahead of time and see if they really complimented our curriculum or were
especially great for middle school.  I wish the passes still existed.

*	Teachers should not be charged admission fees. We work hard to
put the trip together, teach related lessons, meet science standards,
collect the money, supervise the students in a large area like the
Science Center, etc. No other field trip I take charges teachers.
Allowing teachers free admission would encourage more field trips.

*	I used to bring my 6th graders every year to 'kick off' our
science fair. I used to have a family membership and I could use my free
passes for other teachers in my group and/or parent chaperones. When you
changed your policy so that teachers and parents had to pay, I stopped
coming and refused to renew my family membership at that time. I feel
that without teachers and parents, you wouldn't have any field trips. We
have to pay the entrance fee, drive from Bothell, and pay for parking.
It became a very expensive trip. Other field trips that we take include
the Museum of Flight and Northwest Trek. Both of these places allow
teachers and parents to enter for free. the Museum of Flight also gives
teachers a free membership.  We may come back to the Center, if you
change your field trip policy.

*	Please have educators day on a weekend for us to preview the
newest exhibits.

*	Allow chaperones and teachers free admission