ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:22:58 EDT

The Laboratory Safety Institute talks about liability and negligence all  the
time in our training programs.  We would welcome the opportunity to
participate in such a discussion.  We feel our point of view is fair and  balanced.

We have served as expert witnesses in cases (over 20 years) where science
students have been burned over 50% of their bodies in teacher demonstration
accidents.  I guarantee you there is no one on this discussion list who  would
trade places with the plaintiff for double the money they  received.   ... Jim

Counterpoint ...
PS.  The issue is not whether the coffee was hot or not.  The  issue was
whether it was unreasonably hot.  One of the socially beneficial  outcomes of that
case was that other vendors reduced the temperature of their  hot chocolate
from scalding (195 F) to reasonable so that your 8-10 year old son  or daughter
would not be crippled and scared for life at a fast food  restaurant.

In a message dated 9/21/2006 12:01:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,