ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 14:29:12 -0400

Maria-

We developed a bunch of very successful engineering exhibits &
accompanying activities, with NSF funding, for a traveling exhibition
"Tech City."  The exhibits are about engineering-- but in subtle,
inviting way.  So it includes exhibits on earthquake testing, tiling the
city plaza, a sound studio, wind tunnel, designing a menu, etc.  And the
most popular exhibit was "Dam the Creek"--  kids (& adults) would spend
up to 45 minutes trying different ways to dam the 8' long waterway.

The exhibits lent themselves to the "engineering method" to iteratively
design, test, refine, etc. We heard many wonderful conversations about
tradeoffs between costs and safety, or aesthetics, or...  While enjoyed
by families and kids of various ages, we worked hard to make middle
school age girls and minorities feel especially welcome (i.e., engineers
are not just white males who design bridges and have pocket protectors).

There's a fast-paced 7-minute video "Ask An Engineer" with a group of
pre-teens who interview a diverse group of engineers, and tour several
different engineering facilities-- from Fernando who studies how hands
work (Biomedical engineering), a woman supervisor at a big power plant,
to a diverse group who run the facilities at a big aquarium.  Thousands
of copies have been been distributed by the National Engineers Week
Foundation and it should become available for viewing at
www.teachersdomain.org (WGBH in Boston).

Descriptions of the exhibits and photos:
 http://www.sciencenter.org/exhibits/d/techcity_rental_flyer.pdf

Quicktime video of the exhibits in use:
 http://www.sciencenter.org/exhibits/d/techcity.mov

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY
607-272-0600 ext 25

Re: multi media use in science centres and museums
From:
Maria Sanchez-Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 11:58:07 -0600

I was wondering if anyone had any great examples of hands-on engineering
exhibits or activities?

A Program of the Bessemer Historical Society Maria Sanchez-Kennedy Executive
Director Bessemer Historical Society 1612 E. Abriendo Ave. Pueblo, CO 81004
[log in to unmask] tel: fax: 719-564-9086 719-564-5533 Add me to
your address book... Want a signature like this?