ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Heather Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:47:56 -0800

In my humble opinion inquiry does not at all equal interactive or vice
versa. I have participated in many an interactive activity without
experiencing a lick of inquiry. Just because I let you touch the materials
does not mean you will be engaged in inquiry learning. Just because I ask
you questions, does not mean I am opening up the learning experience to your
own inquiry of the subject matter.

On the other hand, I have indeed had inquiry experiences without any
interactivity. The trouble with "lecture" style and inquiry is that the
inquiry can be very subtle and it is more highly dependant on the internal
workings of the individuals involved.

What I mean by that is that when something is interactive, there is
opportunity for individuals to act on one another to generate questions,
alter perspectives and to motivate more investigation. When you are
witnessing a lecture or one sided presentation, whether inquiry occurs
depends on an individual's interest in the subject matter, ability to let
the information interact with previous knowledge and the willingness of the
individual to change his thoughts on the matter. It also depends on the
presenter's ability to engage the audience to level where those things can
occur.

These are all big variables when you are talking about engaging people in an
inquiry experience. I think that is why interactivity is the preferred
technique to engage people in inquiry. An educator can be more deliberate,
assess the individual in front of her and adjust technique to engage the
individual in an inquiry experience.

Again, however, this is not to say that inquiry cannot occur without
interactivity. I believe all of us could identify a time where we were
engaged in a lecture or presentation in such a way that our perspectives
were changed and we walked away asking more questions and seeking the
answers on our own. The trouble is we can probably identify even more where
that was not the case.

These are only my opinions and I honestly have nothing to back it up, but my
own experience. But I am willing to engage, hear what more of you have to
say and even change my mind. Inquiring minds want to know :-).

Heather Gibbons

Education Enrichment Manager

Pacific Science Center

200 Second Ave N| Seattle, WA 98109